Camp Choices and Dates:
Standard Camp: March 9-11
A 3-day camp for riders of all abilities. All levels of riders are welcome in the standard camp so long you are comfortable riding for at least 3 hours with a lot of climbing.
Extended Camp: March 5-11
A week-long intensive camp for competitive athletes. Recommended for riders at Cat 3 or higher. Please email Colin if you would like guidance about choosing a camp.
Why you Should Join Us
- Intensive training experience without the cost of extended travel
- Miles of steep hills in the beautiful West Virginia countryside
- Access to a bike mechanical studio
- On the spot tips and strategy from an expert coach
- Semi-custom rides according to interests and abilities of riders
- Evening clinics on training, racing strategy, bike maintenance, and other topics
- Camraderie and development with fellow cyclists
What to Expect
- 50-80 miles of riding per day with a lot of climbing
- A cozy and rustic setting (in other words, inexpensive and "no frills")
- Simple, comfortable accommodations at the Lost River Barn (see below)
- A pot luck approach to meals. Each guest takes a turn cooking for the group.
- A shared room with a friendly fellow cyclist
Accommodation and Meals
We will be staying at the Lost River Barn in Mathias, WV. Mathias is just 4.5 hours from Philadelphia, 3.5 hours from Pittsburgh and 2.5 hours from Washington, DC.
The barn has 20 beds, 3 bathrooms, 2 whirlpool tubs, a fully stocked bike repair area, a stage for music performances, cable TV, a large selection of DVDs, a large kitchen and dining room table and a gas fireplace. There is also an outdoor fire pit that can be used if the weather is nice enough. More information on the Lost River Barn.
Camp participants will be asked to help make one meal (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, or Snacks). A specific date and time will be assigned to you after registration. The barn is equipped with a kitchen and includes most basic cooking tools and basic pantry items (e.g. salt, sugar, olive oil). You are welcome to bring your own food for the meal or make use of the local supermarket after arrival.
Each day we will start out together and separate into smaller groups based on ability and training needs. If there isn't too much moisture on the ground, some rides may include dirt/gravel sections. Weather is somewhat unpredictable this time of year, but the average high for March is 52 (F) and the average low is 27 (F). Depending on weather conditions we may delay or alter rides. The camp will not be cancelled as long as road conditions are safe for riding.
Sample Ride Schedule
Standard camp participants who want to get in a little more riding, can come as early as Thursday afternoon, although there will not be an organized ride (i.e. with coaches) on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.
Thursday, 3:30 PM: 1.5-2 hour "Shakedown ride"
Friday, 3:30 PM: 2 hour ride with 1-2 major climbs
Saturday, 10 AM: 3 hour or 5 hour hilly ride (there will be a "turnback point" where riders can choose either longer or shorter route)
Sunday, 10 AM: 3 hour or 5 hour hilly ride (there will be a "turnback point" where riders can choose either longer or shorter route)
Standard Camp: $275/person
Extended Camp: $425/person
Early registration is encouraged. Space is limited at Lost River Barn and the camp usually reaches capacity. To secure your spot, a non-refundable 50% deposit is required. Final payments are due on March 1st.
Contact Colin Sandberg at colin@backboneperformance or call at (330) 647-3977.